ZZ-FC020 Star Tavern

Marker text: STAR TAVERN

After no luck in western goldmines, Walter M. Erwin in 1852 bought two acres for $100 (part of 1759 248-acres Trammell Grant), built frame tavern on this site which became a landmark on Leesburg Pike. 1861 sketch shows it with a weramdam and green glass star atop a pole. After war, the independent Order of Grand Templars held their temperance meetings in the tavern. Inn was used for many purposes as successively remodeled. It served as community post office until the 1870s and as grocery store in 1910. Building replaced by Falls Church Bank in 1924 and then by the George Mason Square in 1984.

City of Falls Church

Today in Marker History


View more information