ZZ-FC016 Presbyterian Church


In 1848 Presbyerians first met in private homes. In 1854, Dr. Simon J. Groot bought 11 acres for $179 (part of 1729 248-acre Trammell Grant); built two-story Groot Hall in 1856; used for sunday services, private school, community groups, town hall, and Union Army hospital. Presbyterians bought hall in 1866; used until torn down in 1925. East of Groot Hall, gothic style church with steepled bell tower was built in 1884 from local granite; it was the town's first stone building. At least half of original church still faces Fairfax Street; remodeled in 1890s and 1968, added sunday school in 1928; enlarged sanctuary in 1954.

City of Falls Church

Today in Marker History


View more information