ZZ-FC015 Jefferson Institute


In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school. As classes were held in baptist church. In 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell Grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1882 Jefferson Instiute opened as county primary school in this 2-story brick building with Belfry, 6 classrooms and 3 teachers. In 1926, Jefferson became town high school, and reverted to grade school when a new county administered Falls Church High School opened in 1945, Jefferson converted to offices in 1956; demolished in 1958.

City of Falls Church.

Today in Marker History


View more information