ZZ-FC014 Turnpike Tollgate


Alexandria-Leesburg Pike, chartered in 1813, was completed after 1838. An 1862 map shows a house and tollgate on four acres bought by John Williams in 1837 (part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell Grant), an older tollhouse is suspected but tolls may have been collected at Joseph Birch's smithy across the turnpike, gate was just west of private wagon road (Cherry St.) used by some to evade toll. Pike was important route to move agricultural products & goods but role diminished after the 1859 arrival of the railroal, turnpike bought by Fairfax County for $300 in 1872; tollhouse sold in 1879.

City of Falls Church.

Today in Marker History


View more information