ZZ-FC001 Fairfax Chapel


Circuit riders brought Methodism to area in the late 1700s, holding meetings in homes. Fairfax circuit initiated in 1776, Clapboard Chapel built in 1779 and enlarged in 1798 on acre of land donated in 1818 by heirs of George Minor (A part of 1731 271-acre T. Harrison Grant). Larger red brick structure built in 1819. Services suspended in 1861; Union soldiers demolished chapel using bricks for fireplaces, site abandoned by Methodists after war, but surrounding Oakwood Cemetery remains. In 1885, four acres were deeded for private cemetery use. In 1915, U.S. Government paid $1,600 for Chapel reparation.

City of Falls Church

Today in Marker History


View more information