VA-Q5K Schoolfield

Marker text: SCHOOLFIELD

Schoolfield, established in 1903 as a textile mill village, was named for three brothers who founded Riverside Cotton Mills, later Dan River Mills. By the 1920s, this company town -- complete with a school, churches, stores, a theatre, and other recreational facilities -- was home to over 4,500 residents, mostly mill employees and their families, living in some 800 rental houses. A strike in 1930-31 ended a decade of employer/employee cooperation known as "Industrial Democracy," yet the community's tradition of neighborhood and family life continued to flourish. Danville annexed Schoolfield in 1951.

Department of Conservation and Historic Resources, 1988

Today in Marker History


View more information