VA-W200 Monticello

Marker text: MONTICELLO

Three miles to the southeast, Thomas Jefferson began the house in 1770 and finished it in 1802. He brought his bride to it in 1772. Lafayette visited it in 1825. Jefferson spent his last years there and died there, July 4, 1826. His tomb is there. The place was raided by British Cavalry, June 5, 1781.

Conservation and Development Commission 1928

Today in Marker History


View more information