ZZ-CC011 Binns Hall

Marker text: BINNS HALL

This community was named for the structure which housed the store, post office and dance hall, built in 1886 by O.P. Binns at the terminous of an old road that led to the Chickahominy River farms Cedar Forest, Cyprus Banks, the home of the Stubblefield family, and Mattahunk, an early seat of the Duke family. The road also led to a gristmill and tobacco warehouses. Landmarks of Binns Hall have included Liberty Baptist Church (est. 1869), Gill's Store, Piney Grove Store, the Order of St. Luke Hall and two one-room schools, Binns Hall and Clay Yard. Prominent area homes include Mosside, Piney Grove and two homes once owned by the Vaiden family, Popular Springs and Meadow Springs. No longer standing are the original residences at Browns Quarter, Cool Springs, Myrtle Hill, and the plantation of Furneau Southall, Deputy-Sheriff of Charles City County during the late eigthteenth century.

Charles City County, Virginia.

Today in Marker History


View more information