ZZ-CC003 Swineyards - Willcox Wharf


This area was settled before 1622 by George Swinehow. Tobacco warehouses and docks were located at Swineyards and Willcox Wharf. A post office was established at Swineyards in 1848 and later located at Willcox Wharf. Landmarks have included Bethany Presbyterian Church (est. 1869), Little Elam Church (est. 1886), Bethany School (later known as Little Elam School), Little Elam Pilgrim School, the Taylor Male Female Seminary (est. 1847), Woodburn School (est. 1886) and a general merchandise store, operated first by the Willcox family and later by H.C. Bourne. Prominent area homes include the home of H.C. Bourne, now known as Indian Fields Tavern, Auburn, Buckland, River Edge, Colesville, which served as Grant's headquarters, and Woodburn, the home built by John Tyler in 1813 and later owned by Judge Isaac Christian. The homes of Indian Fields, Center Farm and Buckland, the residence of Judge James M. Willcox, formerly stood in this vicinity.

Charles City County, Virginia.

Today in Marker History


View more information