VA-EP9 Cleydael

Marker text: CLEYDAEL

This T-shaped house was built in 1859 by Dr. Richard Stuart as a summer residence for his family. On Sunday afternoon, April 23, 1865, John Wilkes Booth and three companions came to this house seeking medical assistance from Dr. Stuart. Suspicious of his visitors and aware of Lincoln's assassination, Dr. Stuart refused to aid them and sent them away after dinner.

Today in Marker History


View more information