VA-K152 Concord Depot

Marker text: CONCORD DEPOT

The South Side Railroad provided service at Concord in 1854 when the track was completed from Petersburg to Lynchburg. During the Civil War, these rail lines were important for transporting troops and supplies. On 11 June, seven days before the Battle of Lynchburg, Union army forces were dispatched from Brig. Gen. William W. Averell's Second Cavalry Division to destroy rail and telegraph lines in the region. On 14 June the Federals burned the Concord Depot, a train, a portion of the track, and other railroad structures, and severed telegraph lines. They then marched towards Rustburg.

Department of Historic Resources, 2003

Today in Marker History


View more information