VA-K42 Bristol, Virginia

Marker text: Bristol, Virginia
The Sapling Grove tract (Bristol) was surveyed for John Tayloe, 1749. It was owned by Isaac Baker and Evan Shelby, who built a post about 1770. The Virginia tract was bought by John Goodson, whose son founded the town of Goodson, incorporated in 1856. In 1863 and 1865 it was raided by Unionists and partly burned. In 1890 it was named Bristol when incorporated as a city.
Virginia Conservation Commission 1948

Today in Marker History


Expanded Maps

View more information