ZZ-ARL102 Maywood

Marker text: MAYWOOD

Railroad and trolley lines stimulated the development of many Arlington neighborhoods in the early 20th century. In 1906 the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway opened a line through this area. From 1909 to 1913 the Conservative Realty Corporation subdivided 73 acres north of Cherrydale to form Maywood. Most of the lots were developed by 1920, with houses reflecting popular vernacular styles of architecture. Maywood has kept a strong sense of neighborhood, and in 1990 became Arlington's first neighborhood historic district. While continuing to evolve over the years, Maywood is one of the best remaining examples of Arlington's early "trolly suburbs."

Erected by Arlington County, Virginia

Today in Marker History


View more information