VA-R21 Ruckers Chapel

Marker text: RUCKER'S CHAPEL

Nearby stood Rucker's Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew's, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on part of a 5,850-acre tract his father, John Rucker, patented in 1745. The church served its congregation until 1847, when the members moved to Ascension Church, in Amherst. Logs from the chapel were later used to construct a corncrib at Sweet Briar College, two miles north.

Department of Historic Resources, 1993

Today in Marker History


View more information