VA-W204 Castle Hill

Marker text: CASTLE HILL

The original house was built in 1765 by Doctor Thomas Walker, explorer and pioneer. Tarleton, raiding to Charlottesville to capture Jefferson and the Legislature, stopped here for breakfast, June 4, 1781. This delay aided the patriots to escape. Castle Hill was long the home of Senator William Cabell Rives, who built the present house.

Conservation & Development Commission, 1928

Today in Marker History


View more information