VA-W170 Crozet

Marker text: CROZET

The town grew around a rail stop established on Wayland's farm in 1876. It was named for Col. B. Claudius Crozet, (1789-1864)--Napoleonic army officer, and the state's engineer and cartographer. He built this pioneer railway through the Blue Ridge. The 4273' tunnel through the rocksolid mountain below Rockfish Gap carried traffic from 1858-1944. His talents were tested in solving safety, drainage and ventilation problems posed by the construction of this tunnel.

Virginia Historic Landmark Commission, 1976.

Today in Marker History


View more information