UT-292 Settlement of Hatch

In 1872 Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of the Sevier River, near the junction of Mammoth and Asay creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-powered saw-mill. Soon other settlers came. Land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. Lime was burned by Neils P. Clove. First school was in the Hatch home, Abram Workman teacher. 1888 the Asay post office was transferred to Hatch, Neils Ivor Clove, Postmaster. In 1892 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized. Mammoth Ward, Aaron Asay, Bishop. 1899 the Ward name was changed to Hatch. 1901 to 1904, the town was moved to the present site under leadership of Bishop Rosmus Lynn. Written on cabin: Represents first public building erected about 1890

Today in Marker History


View more information