TX-14949 Old Bakery

Marker text: OLD BAKERY

Built 1876 by Chas. Lundberg. Bread then was not sliced or wrapped; children and maids waited with baskets to take home loaves hot from the oven. House specialties were sponge cake ladyfingers, glazed kisses, almond-meal macaroons.

A front balcony (since razed) permitted a later baker, Henry Maerki, to photograph parades, including one in 1901 for U.S. President William McKinley.

Now Austin Heritage SocietyÕs tourist information center.

Today in Marker History


View more information