TX-4010 Phillips and Trosper Buildings


Many of Lampasas' downtown structures, including buildings on the site owned by prominent developer John B. Higdon, were gutted by fire in August 1884. Higdon then sold one lot to David W. Phillips, who served in the State Legislature in 1898-1902. Late in 1884, Phillips erected the eastern half of this pair of adjoining structures. Grocers J. M. and A. L. Trosper built the other half at about the same time. In 1888 the Trospers sold the property to noted civic leaders and druggists, H. N. and J. R. Key. The Key Brothers Drug Store occupied the Trosper building for 16 years. These buildings are good examples of late 19th century commercial storefront. They feature limestone construction, 4-bay facades, and round-arched transoms above the entry doors. The buildings have housed several businesses, including the Majestic Cafe, Donovan's Cafe, Hoover & Noyes Saloon, the Lampasas "Daily Leader" newspaper, the Bum's Domino Club, the workshop of a noted bootmaker, a bowling alley, grocery store, dance hall, furniture store, meat market, and apartments. The Trosper and Phillips buildings, important elements of downtown Lampasas, are both listed in the National Register of Historic places.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995

Today in Marker History


View more information