TX-11868 Duffau School

Marker text: DUFFAU SCHOOL

This schoolhouse was built by architect-contractor George Coleman of Stephenville in 1936 with the $4,700 insurance settlement received after an earlier school building burned. The simple one-story structure, built of brick veneer over frame construction, is topped by a hipped metal roof and features a shed-roof front porch entry. Heated with wood stoves and lighted with oil lamps, it served the community as a school until 1958, when the Duffau School was consolidated with schools in nearby Hico. The building was converted to a community center maintained by local citizens. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998

Today in Marker History


View more information