TN-NSH076 Customs House

Marker text: CUSTOMS HOUSE

President Rutherford B. Hayes laid its cornerstone in 1877. Designed by Treasury Department architect W. A. Potter, it was occupied in 1882 by collectors of customs and internal revenue, U.S. courts, and Nashville's main post office. Addition to rear began in 1903, wings in 1916. Declared surplus in 1976, then given to the City, it was renovated by the development firm that leased it.

The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County, Erected 1982

Today in Marker History


View more information