TN-3A-26 James K. Polk

Marker text: JAMES K. POLK

The house which stood about 100 feet west was built in 1815 by Felix Grundy. James K. Polk bought it while President in 1847. He came home to it on expiration of his term of office and died here, June 15, 1849. His widow occupied it until her death in 1891. It was later owned by Jacob McGavock Dickinson, Secretary of War, 1908-1912, and a descendant of Grundy.

Tennessee Historical Commission

Today in Marker History


View more information