TN-2C-20 Kemmer Stand Tavern

Marker text: Kemmer Stand / Tavern
In 1817, John Kemmer purchased land here and built Kemmer Stand, a wayside inn, at the intersection of Burke Road. It was two-story, two-section structure that housed many travelers traversing the Cumberland Plateau. At the crest of this hill lies Walton or Great Stage Road. Built in 1800, it was the first federal road across the Plateau.
Tennessee Historical Commission

Today in Marker History


Expanded Maps

View more information