SC-10-37 Laing School

Marker text: LAING SCHOOL
Laing School, located here from 1868 to 1953, was founded in 1866 by Cornelia Hancock, a Quaker who had served as a nurse with the Union Army during the Civil War. First housed in Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church, Laing Industrial School was named for Henry M. Laing of the FriendsÕ Association for the Aid and Elevation of Freedmen. The 1868 school, destroyed by the Charleston earthquake of 1886, was replaced by a school which stood here until 1954.
Erected by the Laing School Alumni Association, 2002

Today in Marker History


View more information