SC-10-22 St. Johns Church

Marker text: ST. JOHN'S CHURCH
This church grew from services held for German inhabitants in Charleston by Rev. Johann Martin Boltzius in 1734 and Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg in 1742. The cornerstone of the first house of worship was laid in 1759; the second and present church building was dedicated in 1818. Dr. John Bachman, noted clergyman, naturalist, and author, served as minister of St. John's 1815-1874. During this time, he
(Continued on other side)
Erected by The Congregation, 1992

Today in Marker History


View more information