SC-5-8 Bufords Bridge A

Marker text: BUFORD'S BRIDGE
(Continued from other side)
On February 3-5, 1865, as Gen. W.T. ShermanÕs Federals advanced toward Columbia, units of Gen. J.A. LoganÕs XV Corps approached BufordÕs Bridge. Gen. Joseph WheelerÕs Confederate cavalry burned the bridge, then evacuated the earthworks here before Logan arrived on Feb. 4th. Federals destroyed most of the buildings in the area to build bridges and left only Mizpah Methodist Church intact.
Erected by the Rivers Bridge Camp # 842, Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2002

Today in Marker History


View more information