NC-GC001 Confederate Arms Factory

Marker text: Confederate Arms Factory
The Tarpley breech-loading carbine was manufactured by Tarpley, Garrett & Co. at the site of the old Pioneer Factory, located 300 yards east. Jere A. Tarpley received a patent from the Confederate Government for the carbine on February 14, 1863. In partnership with J & F Garrett, he produced carbines for the state of North Carolina and the Confederate States of America. It is believed over 400 carbines were produced during 1863 and 1864.
Erected January 19, 1988 by Col. John Sloan Camp, 1290 Sons of Confederate Veterans

Today in Marker History


View more information