NV-211 Old Geiger Grade (In Canyon Below)

Marker text: OLD GEIGER GRADE (In Canyon Below)

Constructed by Davison M. Geiger and John H. Tilton in 1862, this old toll road was the most direct connection between the Comstock Lode and the Truckee Meadows until replaced by the present paved highway in 1936.

Concord stages, mud wagons and ten-mule freighters carried thousands of passengers and millions in precious cargo across this section of the Virginia Range and many are the tales of unpredictable winds, snows, land slides and the everlasting danger of lurking highwaymen which could be told of this precipitous stretch of road.

Dead Man's Point and Robbers Roost, two of the most famous features of the road, can be seen from this marker.

Nevada State Historical Marker No. 211
Reno Chapter
National Society-Daughters of the American Colonists

Today in Marker History


View more information