NV-219 Glenbrook

Marker text: GLENBROOK

Lumbering operations in the Glenbrook area of Lake Tahoe began in 1861. Consolidation of V- flume systems in and near Clear Creek Canyon by 1872 made it possible to float lumber, cordwood, and sawed material from Spooner's Summit to Carson City and to eliminate wagon hauling over the 9-year old Lake Bigler Toll Road (King's Canyon Road).

In 1875, the new Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Company, under Duane Bliss, assumed all operations, becoming the largest Comstock wood and lumber combine. It controlled over 50,000 acres of timberland, operating 2 to 4 sawmills, 2 Lake Tahoe steam tugs to tow logs, 2 logging railroads, the logging camps employing 500 men, and a planing mill and box factory in Carson City.

Timber depletion and reduced Comstock mining closed the company in 1898; it had taken 750,000,000 board feet of lumber and 500,000 cords of wood from Tahoe Basin forests during its lifetime.

State Historical Marker No. 219
Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology
Victor O. Goodwin

Today in Marker History


View more information