NV-194 Gardners Ranch

Marker text: GARDNER'S RANCH

On this site in the period from 1870 until 1918 stood the ornate, two-story home of Matthew Culbertson Gardner, rancher and lumberman. The residence was headquarters for Gardner's 300- acre ranch in meadows to the southwest.

Here was located, 1870-1898, the Carson-Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company's large lumberyard. During the 1870's and 1880's, Gardner logged south of Lake Tahoe for the company and built the only standard-gauge logging railroad in the Tahoe Basin. He maintained his home here.

Gardner died in 1908. The residence was destroyed by a fire August 20, 1918. Many of the old trees on the grounds once shaded the Gardner family.

State Historical Marker No. 194
Nevada State Park System
Carson City Historical Commission

Today in Marker History


Expanded Maps

View more information