MD-028 Rockland

Marker text: ROCKLAND

The first inhabitant of this village, dating back to 1706, was Richard Gist, father of the Revolutionary War hero, Mordecai Gist. The industrial development of the Jones Falls Valley, marked by the building of the Falls Turnpike Road, circa 1806, and later by the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad, was the reason for the construction of Rockland Village. Built by the Johnson family to house the owners and workers in the village's various enterprises, the village also included a blacksmith shop, flour mill, general store and tavern. Through the history of the village runs the thread of Johnson family involvement, including three restorations, circa 1880, 1930, and 1983.

Rockland Village Homeowners Association, Inc. and

Maryland Historical Society.

Today in Marker History


View more information