MD-025 Clover Hill

Marker text: CLOVER HILL

(So named circa 1714)

Part of "Merryman's Lott," 210 acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. Stone House built in 19th century occupied by Bishops of Maryland since 1909, when cathedral site was purchased by Episcopal Diocese. Charles Carroll of Carrollton, sign of Declaration of Independence, acquired portion south of Merryman's Lane (now University Parkway) for access to Homewood circa 1801.

Maryland Historical Society

Today in Marker History


View more information