Marker text: DONALDSONVILLE
Second Acadian Coast. Town founded by William Donaldson, 1806, on farm of Pierre Landry. Began as trading post about 1750. Home of Governor Francis T. Nicholls, of Dr. F.M. Prevost, who performed first Caesarean section, 1824. Parish seat of Ascension. Capital of Louisiana January 1830 to January 1831.
Erected by the Department of Commerce and Industry, 1963.