Marker text: NAMING OF THE CUMBERLAND RIVER
Near this site where the creek enters the river, on April 17, 1750, Dr. Thomas Walker first viewed the river he named for the Duke of Cumberland. Known as the "Narrows," this area became a significant gateway for travelers on the Wilderness Road.
Presented by Bell County Fiscal Court
Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of HIghways, 2000