Marker text: BURTON'S FERRY
In 1765, Robert Dunn established a ferry here. It became the gateway for settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia claiming grants in the newly opened lands of interior Georgia.
In 1772 Dunn sold to the enterprising Thomas Burton who made a large investment in boats and roads through the swamp. January 20th, 1773 he applied for and received a franchise for the operation of the ferry. The ferry proved a profitable enterprise for years for Burton.
Georgia Historical Commission, 1953