Marker text: GEORGIA 4-H CENTER
This Georgia 4-H Center is a tribute to former members and an educational training center for all future members.
Georgia 4-H Club work, with its equal training of the Head, heart, Hands and Health, started in 1905 with 151 boys, each growing one acre of corn, under leadership of G.C. Adams, County School Superintendent. In 1911 girls' tomato and canning projects were started.
Led by County Extension Agents, 4-H Club work became part of the Agricultural Extension Service, University of Georgia, and U.S. Department of Agriculture in 1914. Membership 126,927 in 1953.
Georgia Historical Commission, 1954