Marker text: Birthplace of Bishop A. G. Haygood and Miss Laura A. Haygood
This house, about 150 years old, was the birthplace of Bishop Atticus Green Haygood in 1839 and his sister, Laura Askew Haygood, in 1845. Bishop Haygood was chaplain and missionary to the Army, 1861-65; President of Emory College, 1876-84; editor Wesleyan Christian Advocate, 1878-82; administrator Slater Fund, 1882-91; Bishop from 1890 until his death in 1896. Miss Haygood was principal of an early school for girls in Atlanta and was one of the first missionaries to China. She died in Shanghai in 1900. A brother and sister are buried in the yard of this house, now the Methodist parsonage.
Georgia Historical Commission, 1955