Marker text: "CENTER OF THE WORLD"
This was the Ah-Ye-Li A-Lo-Hee, Center of the World to the Cherokee Indians. To this assembly ground , from which trails radiate in many directions, they came to hold their councils, to dance and worship which were to them related functions, and to barter their hides, furs and blankets for the trade goods of the white men from Augusta and other settlements. At one time there was a move to establish here the Hart County seat. This site was also a noted roost in the days when the now extinct passenger pigeons migrated here in the autumn in such numbers that "their weight broke the tree limbs."
073-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1954