Marker text: CLARKE COUNTY
Clarke County, created by Act of Dec. 5, 1801 from Jackson County, originally contained Oconee and part of Madison and Greene Counties. It was named for Gen. Elijah Clarke who came to Wilkes County, Ga., from N.C. in 1774 and fought through Ga., and S.C. during the Revolutionary War. He engaged in several battles with the Indians and signed treaties with the Cherokees in 1783 and Creeks in 1783 and 1785. He died Dec. 15, 1799. First officers of Clarke County, commissioned Dec. 31, 1801, were: Abner Bankston, Sheriff; Bedford Brown, Clk, Sup. Ct.; Gabriel Hubert, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Stephen Nobles, Surveyor; Daniel Conner, Coroner.
029-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956