Marker text: LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION (Founded, 1741)
On April 14, 1741, John Martin Bolzius, who as Pastor of the Salzburgers at Ebenezer was in charge of Lutheran work in the colony of Georgia, founded the congregation now known as the Lutheran Church of the Ascension.
In 1756 members of the congregation purchased for one hundred and fifty pound the lot upon which the present church building stands, directly East of this marker. Around 1772 a nearby building which had formerly served as a court house was acquired at a cost of seventeen pounds and was moved to this site, becoming the first church building of Lutherans in Savannah.
The present church was erected in 1843. Extensive remodeling was completed in 1879 and at that time it was dedicated as `The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension.` The choice of the name is connected with the beautiful stained glass window behind the altar, portraying the Ascension of Christ into heaven.
025-76 Georgia Historical Commission 1960