Marker text: OLD SAVANNAH COTTON EXCHANGE
The Savannah Cotton Exchange building was completed in 1887, during the era when Savannah ranked first as a cotton seaport on the Atlantic and second in the world. in its heyday as a cotton port over two million bales a year moved through Savannah. the cotton Exchange was the center of activity in the staple which dominated this city`s economic life before its evolution into a leading industrial seaport.
The Exchange was designed by the nationally known Boston architect, William Gibbons Preston (1844-1910). His design won out in a competition participated in by eleven architects. the exchange is believed to one of the few structures in the world erected over n existing public street.
The beautiful iron railing around this grass plat, with panels featuring medallions of famous statesmen, authors and poets once graced the ante-bellum Wetter House in Savannah.
The former Cotton Exchange is now the headquarters of the Savannah Chamber of Commerce, which cordially invites you to drop in for a visit.
Georgia Historical Commission 1957