Marker text: Christ Church The Mother Church of Georgia
This Episcopal church was the first house of worship established with the founding of Georgia in 1733. Early rector included the Rev. John Wesley (1736-37), who began the earliest form of Sunday school and published the first English hymnal in the colonies, and the Rev. George Whitefield (1738-40), founder of Bethesda Orphanage. The cornerstone for the first building on this site was laid in 1744. James Hamilton Couper designed the current and third structure in 1838. The 1819 Revere & Son bell continues in use today. One of many prominent members was Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of America.
2001.2 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Christ Church