Marker text: Birthplace of the University Of Georgia
Meeting place of legislature in 1785
Directly across Bay Street from this marker formerly stood the brick building. Built in late colonial days and known as the ÒCoffee House.Ó In which the Legislature of Georgia met in 1785. Owned by Thomas Stone, it was described in a newspaper advertisement in 1785 as having Òten large, cool, elegant roomsÓ and as Ònot equaled by any other house in the stateÓ for Òbusiness, and convenience for a large family.Ó
While meeting in the house owned by Thomas Stone the House Of Assembly of Georgia enacted on January 28, 1785, an act for the Òestablishment of a public seat if learning in this stateÓ- the preamble reciting that is was Òamong the first objects of those who wish well to the national prosperity, to encourage and support the principles of religion and morality, and early to place the youth under the forming hand of society, that by instruction they may be molded to the love of virtue and good order.Ó
The charter granted to the Board of Trustees of the University of Georgia in 1785 was the first charter issued in the united stares to a state university.
Georgia Historical Commission 1957