Marker text: Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation
The nearby Salzburger Monument of Reconciliation and dedicated to The Georgia Salzburger Society and given to the City of Savannah in 1994 by the State of Salzburg, Austria, in memory of the Lutheran Protestants of Salzburg who were denied religious freedom and expelled from their homeland.
The first thirty seven Salzburgers to come to Georgia landed at this site on March 12, 1734. They were welcomed by James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia Colony and given temporary shelter before moving to their new home, Ebenezer, in what is now Effingham County. Additional Colonists from Salzburg and other Germanic people continued to settle at Ebenezer until 1752.