Marker text: SACRED HEART CATHOLIC CHURCH
The first Catholic mass was celebrated at Milledgeville in April, 1845, at the Hugh Treanor apartment in the Newell Hotel. Bishop Ignatius Reynolds of the diocese of Charleston, accompanied by Father J. F. OÕNeill, visited here in 1847. In 1850 this parish was incorporated in the new Diocese of Savannah. The church structure was built in 1874 and Robert Kennedy was the first resident priest, 1889-94.
This site was previously occupied by the elegant La Fayette Hotel which opened in October, 1824, and had as its guest Gen. Marquis de La Fayette in 1825.
Georgia Historical Commission, 1961