Marker text: OLD STATE CAPITOL
A reproduction of Georgia's State Capitol 1807-1867 stands on the original site. Wings to the main building were added in 1828 and 1837. Here the Secession Convention met Jan. 16, 1861 and after three days of bitter debate passed the secession act. In 1864 ShermanÕs Union soldiers held a mock session of the Georgia legislature and repealed the secession act.
Boulder in yard marks spot where General LaFayette was entertained at barbecue in March 1825. Duplicate of old Capitol building now houses ancient Georgia Military College.
Georgia Historical Commission, 1953