Marker text: FOREST CITY
The earliest settlers in this area arrived circa 1875. Among these settlers were Swedish families who relocated here from Sanford after their obligations to Gen. Sanford were met. It was known as Forest City by the time the area was platted in 1883. This platted area was 1/3 mile south of the intersection of SRs 434 and 436 and boasted a schoolhouse, a rail depot, a general store and a two story boarding house. Most of the surrounding area was planted with citrus trees. By the mid 1880s four railroads - a short line to Salt (Wekiva) Springs, the Orange Belt, the Florida Midland and a spur to the South Florida railroad, all served Forest City area providing a quick way for citrus to reach northern markets.