Marker text: HISTORIC LONGWOOD/E. W. HENCK
(Continued from other side)
By 1887 the population of Longwood had grown to 1,027. The town had 3 hotels, 5 churches, 8 stores and a weekly newspaper. The killing freezes of 1895 and 1896 devoted the orange business. This together with the depletion of the nearby native forests greatly reduced Longwood's population.
The Florida land boom of the early 1920's again saw a revival of Longwood with the paving of many streets, a municipal water system, and in 1923, its re-incorporation as a city. In nearby areas attractions were built that included a dog track, a horse track, and a golf course. The boom fizzled and the depression of the 1930's left the Longwood population much as it was before the boom started.
The population growth of central Florida in the later part of the 20th century began Longwood's expansion outside of the historic district. The area platted by Mr. Henck became Longwood's Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Seminole County Historical Commission