Marker text: OLD FOLKS HOME
(Continued from other side)
provided a family atmosphere. To help provide for others living in the home, residents who were able to work tended an orange grove, a vegetable garden, chickens, dairy cattle, and hogs.
In 1840, all residents of the home were moved into the main building. The black residents' building became the infirmary for all residents. Miss Rachael Lee, a black nurse from Mississippi, was in charge of the infirmary until the home closed in 1964.
The main building became the county Agricultural Center in 1964 with offices for the County Agricultural And Home Demonstration Agents and other county agencies. In 1980, a new agricultural center was built. The Board of County Commissioners approved the establishment of the Museum of Seminole County History at this site in 1982.