Marker text: PASCO COUNTY
Pasco County was created from Hernando County on May 12, 1887. The are was first inhabited by Muscogee Indians and the first white men in area came with Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez in May, 1528. Narvaez fought the Indians near the Withlacoochee River before moving northward. Few white settlers were in the area until the 1840's. It is home of St. Leo College and is noted for citrus and naval stores.
Florida Board of Parks and Historical Memorials, 1981